Thursday, August 18, 2005

Throwing things

I attended my friend Deborah's wedding in June. As it became clear that bouquet-tossing time was fast approaching, I leaned over to my friend Brenda (married now for 20 years) and informed her that, as I had no intention of answering the call to join "all the single ladies on the dance floor" when the invitation was issued, to please not push me in that direction. She didn't. Not that she would have. But you never can tell.

I did catch a wedding bouquet once. Ten years ago tomorrow, actually, at Sarah and Jeff's wedding.

Note that I'm still single.

And I'm fine with that, even if I wasn't feeling that way then. Even so, the only reason I caught that bouquet was because word spread quickly through the "single lady" crowd that the bride didn't want anyone ducking out of the way. "If the bouquet comes to you, catch it," she had requested. Firmly. "I don't want to have to throw it more than once."

Interesting that this would be a concern.

Three years earlier, at a cousin's intimate wedding reception, I was in the bathroom when I heard The Invitation over the PA system. This was not a premeditated escape on my part, but it certainly was a welcome one. Or so I thought. I had just made the decision to stay put until I was certain this part of the reception had passed, when, to my amazement and dismay, I actually heard my name over said PA system. The emcee was paging me. I was only one of four single women present at this affair, so there was no escaping it. This time. Even if I didn't catch it. (I wonder if we all let it drop to the floor? I don't recall.)

The reason I bring any of this up is to introduce two very entertaining articles I recently read, from both female and male perspectives, about the whole wedding bouquet-and-garter-tossing traditions. Start with "Toss This" by Camerin Courtney, and then move on to "Airborne Under-Things" by Todd Hertz.

It's comforting to discover that I'm not alone.

No comments: