Thursday, September 1, 2005

Lost

Before going to bed last night, I found myself (again) glued to television images of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. I was watching whatever ABC news special they produced at the last minute, and at one point, I hit a button on my remote control. The description for the program that was originally scheduled to air at that hour flashed on the screen: "Lost."

The irony was almost too much to digest.

I talked to Sheryl on the phone yesterday. She was back at work, where power has been restored. She still has no electricity in her apartment, and no idea of when she will. But she still has an apartment, and for that she is grateful. She has also resumed adding entries to her blog. It must be surreal, to say the very least, to live in a city that has become one of the headquarters for post-disaster relief efforts. It's heartbreaking to think of all who have lost their lives, their homes and jobs in the blink of an eye.

Lord have mercy.

No comments: