Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Jubilee or bust!

I love Jubilee.

I attended my first Jubilee conference in 1985, as a college freshman, and I haven't missed one yet. Every year for more than two decades now, I show up at the Hilton Pittsburgh at the end of February and enjoy the energy of hundreds of college students, many generations of them now, who gather to learn about why it matters that they follow Christ and how it can and should infiltrate every single part of their lives. The focus of Jubilee is to help college students get a handle on how faith in Jesus Christ should be lived out through their particular fields of study, and ultimately, their vocational choices.

My friend and colleague, Byron Borger, owner with his wife Beth of Hearts and Minds Bookstore in Dallastown, Pennsylvania, describes the conference and its purpose quite eloquently in his most recent blog entry. I found it inspiring to read his late night/early morning ruminations about this annual event, even while preparing to set up shop (literally) at the Pittsburgh Hilton this weekend.

And now, as I look forward to reunions with old friends, meeting new ones, and learning more about how to be faithful in my life and work (and how to encourage others to do likewise), I'm off to join the volunteer pool stuffing registration packets.

Jubilee ho!

No comments: