Monday, November 14, 2005

Stranger in a Strange Land

My friend Myrna moved to Utah in September. Temporarily. She is spending the year working with an environmental testing company, making as much money as possible to pay off graduate school debt and to replenish her dwindling savings.

I'm excited to report that this time next week, I'll be getting ready to head to the airport to board a plane for Salt Lake City! I'll be spending Thanksgiving week with Myrna, exploring this foreign-to-me part of the country.

Speaking of which, Myrna has started a blog to share the impressions of Mormon country through the eyes of a (non-Mormon) western Pennsylvania native. If you're interested in reading some of her observations, you can check them out here. Stranger in a strange land, indeed.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Can I come?

Remembering the thatched cottage and huddling around the space heater, and the Dublin room with the three teeny single beds bedecked in chenille...

I can't really come, but it's fun to think of another excuse to sit and knit. Hope you see Conrad or his like, guitar in hand, crooning.

Safe travels.

Amy said...

Denise, I imagine no thatched cottages in Utah (but what do I know?), and we're more likely to run into an Osmond than an Irish troubador. Can you believe it's been almost a year since our Gaelic adventure?

Thanks for the traveling mercies, and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.