Wednesday, December 7, 2005

The Gender Genie

OK, this is just weird.

(Oops — I forgot. I apparently shouldn't be using the word is. Or the. Or something. Because those are masculine words. On the other hand, actually, like, because, too and since are feminine words.)

My friend Lisa just sent me this link, which assigns you a gender based on how you write.

As Lisa instructs: "Paste in a blog entry (preferably at least 500 words) and click the submit button. Based on some weird algorithmic formula, it will then tell you if it thinks the blog entry was written by a male or female."

Only once has it correctly identified me as a female. Granted, it claims an 80% success rate, but still. I'm not sure what (if anything) to make of this.

Thoughts?

5 comments:

Byron K. Borger said...

Thoughts? I think you have too much time on your hands.
But, then again, I'M going to do it right away. I'll let ya know "what" I am. Thanks for the glimpse to the truly weird...

By

Byron K. Borger said...

Well,that was fun, all the colors and numbers. And, I suppose I am happy to declare that the genie knows I am a man's man. I wonder how I'd make out hanging out in Utah? As I said the other day, I loved those posts about your trip.


masculinely yours,

Byron

Anonymous said...

Okay, so it says I'm female-- although just barely. Thank goodness I'm female at least! 'Cause the over-30 hormone facial hair thing was freaking me out! I guess I just need to look at myself algorithmically and not so much Dr. 90210-ly!!!

Lisa Marie said...

Hey, you're a man, I'm a man...we're just getting in touch with our masculine selves, apparently. (It's PC for men to get in touch with their feminine sides, so why not the opposite, eh?) Maybe if we used more words that ended in "y"? And no articles. "Fluffy bunny hoppy aroundy." Soundy girly? ;)

Denise said...

okay, so my article on cleaning shelves was deemed overwhelmingly male, but my blog article on parenting my little boy through his mom-adoration is quite female. Hmmmm. I may try this with four or five more. Perhaps well-edited is male? Succinct is male? Can't tell.